I have an awesome family. I grew up with 3 sisters very close to me. We fought but we always made up, and now that we're adults I'm glad to say that we're still close. It is so hard for me to not live close to them, especially because all of them live close to each other (Luckies!) I think we do a pretty good job of catching up on the phone and Skype a lot, but it's not the same. Although I love being an adult and a mom, there are a couple times where things have gotten hard and I've wished I could just go back and live with my family and the biggest problem I'd have was worrying if the boy I had a crush on was going to sit by me at lunch that day at school. So, I made a list of things I miss about living with a lot of sisters.
1. I miss going straight to a sisters room after something exciting happened in my life. Obviously, what makes something "exciting" has changed since then, but I loved running straight into someone's room (usually Jamie's because she's older and knew more than me about everything) to talk about the dance I just went to.
2. On the same subject, I loved being the older sister to 2 more girls that would come to my room to talk about their days. Jamie did too, hers were always so cool since she's older. :)
3. I miss always being able to have girl time. Nowadays, it's a big deal to have a girls night out, or even a girls night in. Back then, I could just break out some nail polish and a good movie, and the girls were just already there!
4. I miss getting my hair and make-up done just for fun by a sister. I guess that kind of goes along with a girls night in, but I know Jamie did my hair for dances a couple times, and that before I was allowed to wear make-up, she'd sometimes give me a makeover and sneak me out of the house...to a church activity. Seriously. We were real crazy at our house, what rebels!
5. When I was in college, I didn't live at home, but I still always lived in Arizona, so I was never more than a 3 hour car ride from them. I miss at least that, being able to go visit for a day if I needed it.
6. I miss freeze outs. Silly, I know sisters, but do you remember freeze outs? We would eat ice, and turn on the fans and what else? Something to make us really cold, and then when we couldn't stand it anymore, we'd jump under the covers all together to warm back up. Weirdest idea ever, but we were easily amused by our own games. I just liked that it was kind of an inside joke, and something just sisters would do.
7. I miss my parents reading us books before bed. Ok, I know that's not exclusive to my family or sisters, but sometimes when I have a hard time getting to sleep, I think, "I wish I was young enough to ask someone to read a book to me right now." Remember when Dad would read "Hey! Listen to This!" with the weird "Little Red Riding Hood" story, or the kid who couldn't do math correctly but still always got the right answer? Awesomeness!
8. I feel like from this far away, I can't protect my sisters the way I wish I could or used to try to. We're adults now, we take care of our own problems, and that would happen either way regardless of the distance. When we were in high school though, I could stick up for my sisters and they could stick up for me, and it didn't matter what other people thought of us, because we had each other. Now, I've got to make my own friends who don't know everything about my family, no matter how much I try to tell them.
9. That kind of leads right into this one...I miss that all of my friends back then KNEW my family. We had some similar friends or friends that were siblings, and friends whose parents were friends with our parents. No matter how much I tell people about my awesome family, they can't really get it as much as the people that actually know them could. It's a little frustrating sometimes.
10. Finally, I just miss them, being physically close to them. I miss being at Sunday night dinners with everyone every week. I love hearing about everything the family does together all the time, but it hurts me a tiny bit because I wish we were there to be a part of it. I feel like Logan's missing out on cousin time that everyone else gets together!
I hope this didn't come off as completely negative. I was more trying to reminisce. I do love the life we've built out here as hard as it's been at times. I can still love my awesome family, and wish to be with them more than I am now. I can't wait to see you guys in November!!
No comments:
Post a Comment